Monday, April 1, 2013

Temporarily Reassigned to the Utah, Salt Lake City Mission



So for those of you that haven't heard, I have been temporary reassigned to the Salt Lake City Mission. But it doesn't feel like Utah. We are in Rose Park, and it's pretty much a MiniMexico. I forget that I am only 30 minutes away from home, until I am either on Redwood Road, North Temple, or I look to see the state capital building. Really though, it's so strange!

It's crazy because in the MTC, I felt like we did the same thing everyday. And now, even though we are still doing the same thing everyday, there are so many crazy things that happen. The people here have some crazy life stories, but for the most part, the people here are really nice! The first few days were a little bit rough readjusting to mission life, but I have learned to enjoy it!

I should start by saying that in this mission, I probably gain on average 10 lbs/day. We have the opportunity to be fed by members every night. The food tastes so good, but there is SOO MUCH! On Saturday, we had a dinner appointment with Margarita. She is the nicest lady (which actually all of them are), but she prepared so much food. And culturally, it's offensive if you don't eat it. So... We go to her house, and we start eating, and as we're eating, she pretty much keeps putting more food on our plates. It was such a struggle; we all gave each other the look of "I am going to throw up," but we put on our happy faces and kept eating. The only thing that I could think of was in the movie Matilda when Bruce has to eat the rest of the chocolate cake. I thought one serving was big, but then there were two, then three... It felt like it was never going to end.. I just had to keep thinking, "Bruce! Bruce! Bruce!" But I made it through! Oh, but that's not the end of the story. After our dinner appointment, we were walking down the street, and we hear a party going on. My companions (we're in a foursome right now) walked behind the house and started talking. They were so welcoming us, and made us sit down with them. They offered us food, beer, and dessert. We insisted that we were fine, but before we knew it, there was pozole in front of us, and there was no choice. We ate it, and I didn't even think that it was even possible. Anyway, we thought we were going to explode, but OH WAIT, the story isn't over yet. We rode our bikes down the street to go to our next appointment. When we got the house we realized that they were having a party, too. It was pretty much the exact same party, too. The blaring Spanish music, the bounce house, and the mass amounts of food. To make a long story short, they fed us as well, but OH WAIT, after we left that party, we met a member at the church to pick up some clothes. The Sister gets out of her car, and says, "Look what I got for you sisters!" She brought us different sweet breads. Mine was an enamorada, which tasted divine, but as soon as we got home I decided that I never wanted to eat again.

But then the same thing pretty much happened the next day. Maybe it was just because it was Easter, but so much more food. We actually got done having lunch with some of the members, and then we here, "Hey Sistas" in a deep Tongan voice. "Come here, I want to show you something."--"You're not going to feed us right?" He just had the biggest grin, and when we walked into the house, it was full of food. Living room, kitchen, backyard, no importa.. it was everywhere! They kept making us eat, but at least it all tastes good! The polynesians definitely know how to cook, too! Mmmmmm! And that was all before our dinner appointment!

On to maybe something a little more applicable to the gospel..

So last night was definitely an interesting Easter. There are three different types of people when teaching a lesson: the interested, the bored, and the dark. It was really interesting because last night, I got a dose of the dark. Even though I really couldn't understand everything that was going on, I could definitely feel a difference in that room. It was good to have an experience that I could compare to, but I don't think I want to teach a murderer that has no desire to change ever again. But don't worry Mom, I am on the Lord's team.

Well, let's just say things are pretty crazy here! And I don't know when I will be shipping off to Argentina, so just email me if you want because now I can email whoever!

Love you all,
Hermana Vawdrey






No comments:

Post a Comment